One Minute Energy Booster
“90% of the stimulation and nutrition to the brain is generated by the movement of the spine” ~ Dr Roger Sperry
There are times in the day when we need a quick energy boost, but don’t go reaching for the chocolate just yet! With this quick exercise that you can do anytime & anywhere, you can boost your energy, lift your mood and activate your mental acuity in just one minute.
According to Nobel Prize recipient Dr Roger Sperry, “90% of the stimulation and nutrition to the brain is generated by the movement of the spine”. Healthy patterns of movement in our bodies, and specifically in our spines, optimise cognitive ability, increases our capacity for creativity and learning, and energises our body and brains.
This simple exercise moves all 24 of your vertebrae in a plane that they don’t usually move in. It stimulates your brain and clears mental fog.
Standing Spinal Twists
- Begin by standing with your feet hip width apart, and your knees soft.
- Hold your arms straight out in front of you, and then bend your elbows, stacking your hands on top of each other.
- Lift your chin so that you are facing directly ahead, and can see your elbows in your peripheral vision.
- Gently twist your body to the right, keeping your head level and following your elbow with your eyes in your peripheral vision.
- Now twist to the left, keeping your head level and following your elbow with your eyes in your peripheral vision.
- Continue to alternate twisting right and left for one minute, with each side taking about 1 second.
You can check out this 15 second video for the correct form.
Note: You may notice you feel a little light headed if you are not used to this kind of movement. Start out slowly, and complete in sets of ten until you feel comfortable.
- Coaching (1)
- Communication and Influence (1)
- Emotional Health (20)
- Emotional Intellegence (1)
- Emotional Intelligence (1)
- Energy Management (6)
- Food and nutrition (3)
- Inspiration (2)
- Leadership Coaching (3)
- Mental Health (19)
- Mindfulness (1)
- Mindset (8)
- Personal Development (43)
- Physical Health (9)
- Podcast (5)
- Stress Management (12)
- Tips & tricks (1)
- Uncategorized (3)